Monday 15 September 2014

Recipe: Cheesy Baked Tuna Sandwich

I love the weekends. They give me time to be creative with my food. I was really craving egg and cheese and the first thing I thought of was a sandwich, but then that seemed really boring. Then I remembered I had a mini baking dish I bought from Daiso and that sparked the idea of a baked sandwich. 

I filled my sandwich with diced carrot and tuna. I like canned tuna, its so convenient and tuna is a great source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 is good for your cardiovascular health, improving learning and memory, and has anti-inflammatory effects in the body. However canned tuna should not be eaten too regularly to avoid the build up of mercury in the body. 

This baked sandwich is super easy to make. Just chuck everything in a baking dish, bake it until the cheese turns golden and you've got yourself a delicious cheesey topped sandwich with a crisp crust and moist tuna filling. 



Ingredients
  • 2 slices of wholegrain bread 
  • 1/2 a carrot, diced
  • 1 can (95 g) of tuna, drained (I used John West Naturally Smoked)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 slice of cheese (I used a reduced fat cheese)
  • 3 slices of tomato 

  1. Preheat the oven to 200 C. 
  2. Cut the bread into quarters, this would make it easier when eating. Place one slice of bread at the base of the baking dish. Add half of the diced carrots and then the tuna. Place the second slice of bread on top.
  3. Crack the egg into a bowl and add the remaining carrot. Cut the slice of cheese into little pieces and add this to the egg and carrot bowl. Lightly whisk the egg. 
  4. Place the tomato slices on top of the sandwich and pour the egg mixture evenly over the sandwich. Bake the sandwich for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese starts to turn golden. 



When pouring in the egg, I let a bit run down the side so the edges and the bottom slice could soak up a bit of the egg. It is also nice to sprinkle a bit of pepper or rosemary when eating this to add an extra level of flavour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment