Friday 3 October 2014

Recipe: Tuna Penne Pasta with Scrambled Egg

Sometimes I get pasta cravings and today was one of those days so I decided to make tuna penne pasta with onion, tomato and water chestnut scrambled egg.

Scrambled eggs isn't something you'd usually see paired with pasta but I like my eggs so I thought why not give it a try. I used wholemeal penne to see how it differs from non-wholemeal pasta. Taste wise its similar but in terms of texture, it is a bit more grainy that normal pasta. According to the nutrition panel it has more fibre too with 9 g per 100 g of pasta.

I also found frozen water chestnuts in my freezer so I decided to add that to my egg as well. Water chestnut is an Asian vegetable with a crisp texture and a subtle sweet taste. I didn't know until I searched it up but water chestnuts have antioxidant properties, and are a source of vitamin B6 for brain and immune health, potassium for regulating heart rhythm and lowering blood pressure, and manganese required in bone formation.

This dish is very versatile. You can leave your scrambled eggs plain or use other ingredients like mushrooms or chives. I just used what I found in the kitchen. You can also leave out the tuna if you like and there'd still be plenty of egg to be mixed in with the pasta.



Ingredients
  • 70 g penne pasta (I used wholemeal this time)
  • 2 water chestnuts diced 
  • 1 small tomato diced
  • 1/2 onion diced 
  • 1 clove garlic minced
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbs milk 
  • 1 x 95g tin tuna (flavour of choice)
  • salt to taste
  • Pepper 
  • Thyme (dried or fresh)
  • Rosemary (dried or fresh)

Cook pasta according to pack. Drain and set aside. 

Whilst the pasta is cooking saute the garlic and onion on medium-high heat until the onions start to brown.

Add the tomato, water chestnut and a splash of water (~ 2 tbs). With occasional stirring, let the tomatoes cook for about 3 minutes or until most of the water has evaporated. Season with a bit of salt and a sprinkle of thyme.

Beat the egg together with the milk and add to the pan. Turn the heat down to medium and keep stirring until the egg is cooked. 

Assemble the pasta, tuna and scrambled egg to your liking. I had the pasta on the bottom, then I added the tuna and mounded the scrambled egg on top. Sprinkle with some rosemary and pepper to your liking. 

Everything mixed together :)


No comments:

Post a Comment