Friday 18 September 2015

Recipe: Healthy Banana Berry Muffins

Baking can be so therapeutic. Mix everything in a bowl, bake and voila, yummy baked goodies. Nice and simple. 

The weather is warming up and bananas are ripening faster. This left me with a few over ripened bananas. I don't know about you but I'm not a huge fan of eating super ripe bananas by themselves. Good thing is they're perfect for baking! 

In the midst of tackling a 50% assignment for uni, I decided to take some time to bake banana berry muffins. This recipe was adapted from Amy's Healthy Baking

Banana Berry Muffins 
Ingredients (makes 12 medium muffins and 8 small muffins)
  • 2 cups wholemeal flour 
  • 1/2 cup plain flour 
  • 1 tsp baking soda 
  • 1 tsp baking powder 
  • 2 tbsp olive oil 
  • 2 eggs 
  • 4 tsp vanilla extract 
  • 3 extra ripe bananas, mashed 
  • 4 tbsp plain non-fat Greek yoghurt
  • 4 tbsp honey 
  • 2/3 cups mixed berries (frozen or fresh)
Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 180 C (325°F), and line a 12 hole muffin try with patty pans 
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, egg, and vanilla. Stir in the mashed banana, yogurt, and honey. Add in the flour mixture, and stir just until incorporated. Gently fold the berries into the batter. 
  3. Spoon the batter into the muffin tray filling each hole 2/3 of the way. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.

Note:
  • Usually when I make recipes from the internet, I'd cut back on the sugar (or sweetener used). But I do not recommend it for this recipe. I tried using 2 tbsp of honey and it tastes really bland. So keep it at 4 tbsp :) 
  • Same with the oil (keep it at 2 tbsp) - I tried using 1 tbsp of oil and the results weren't so great. The muffins were still moist, but they stuck to the patty pans. I ended up either with paper on my muffin or eating half my muffin off the patty pan I suppose if you use non-stick baking paper instead, that might solve the problem. 
  • To save the use of an extra bowl (less to wash up :P) mix all the wet ingredients in a big bowl then directly add the dry ingredients to the same bowl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment