Tuesday 29 September 2015

Cafe Cre Asion, Sydney CBD

It's uni mid-sem break and as usual, the list of assignments to do is seemingly endless. BUT BUT BUT... one of them requires me to go out and eat at a restaurant or cafe of my choice. I seriously could not contain my excitement when the lecturer told us this. I've been having matcha cravings for a while so it didn't take long for me to choose my place to visit. Cre Asion, a tiny tucked away gem of a place. 



It took quite a while for my friend and I to find the cafe (even with our GPS). We were at the corner of Clarke and Alberta St, looking down, we couldn't see any obvious signs or queues to hint the location of the cafe. Still we followed the the directions on our phones wondering down the seemingly empty Alberta St and surely, we arrived at our destination. 

There was no line when we got there at around 1pm there were still a couple of spare tables so we took our time looking at the menu. Not the wisest of choice as a queue started for form shortly after. The tables that were empty quickly got taken, but luckily for us, a table was leaving just as we were ordering. 



 


 



Judging from the photos on Instagram, the sandwich servings at Cre Asion are quite large to have one each for two little Asian girls. Well it would be a good size if you were to just have the sandwich, but I wanted to save space for the matcha latte and matcha fondant that's all over Instagram.  



First to arrive was the chocolate matcha fondant. It was hard resisting not to dive in immediately, but I wanted the overhead shot of all the food (hehe a foodie's gotta do what a foodie's gotta do). I think the kitchen staff made the takeaway orders before our's, we had to wait a little longer for the latte and sandwich. It took around 20 minutes for all our food to come out but it was well worth the wait. 


Tuna, boiled egg, caper, cornichons, chive,
radicchio and mayo sandwich ($12)
We ordered the tuna boiled egg, caper, cornichons, chive, radicchio and mayo sandwich. Assembled and toasted to order, the bread was crunchy and warm. The creamy kewpie mayo works really well with the salty sour cornichons (pickled cucumber). 


Now to the much-loved matcha fondant. Displayed in a cake cabinet, these babies are warmed up in the oven before plating. It is served with a little pot of matcha pouring cream which makes for another photogenic pouring shot. The matcha cream adds to the pool of oozy goodness that flows from the fondant as you cut it open.

I liked that the fondant was not too sweet and nice and gooey.Try to soak up as much of the matcha cream for the full matcha kick. 


Chocolate match fondant
($8.50 eat in or $6.50 take away)


















That oozy oozy goodness
As good as the matcha fondant was, the highlight of the meal for me was the matcha latte. First sip and I was in love. Served in a thick walled matcha bowl I cupped it in my hands and lifted it to my mouth. The warmth caressed my lips and I took a sip. I let the rich, velvety smooth matcha latte sit in my mouth allowing myself to fully register the taste and experience. Whilst I've only had a few other matcha lattes, I could see why people say this is the best matcha latte in Sydney. The bitter matcha is the star complimented with back notes of sweetness.  

Soy matcha latte ($5.50)
Every sip was heaven. I couldn't stop smiling even as I was walking away from the cafe. This is definitely a must-order. 

For those who have never been and are thinking of going to Cre Asion, I recommend going before 1pm (is that the office lunch hour?) or after 2pm if you want a table. If you're there just for the food and don't care so much about taking photos, takeaway would be a much quicker option. 


Café Cre Asion Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment