Monday 5 October 2015

Recipe: Blueberry and Banana Porridge Slice

If you couldn't tell already from my previous recipes, I love my oats. So when I came across this recipe by Livia's Kitchen, I just had to make it. The recipe I made is slightly modified using ingredients I had. I also had some shredded coconut on hand so I sprinkled some on top to give some contrast in colour and texture. 





Compared to wheat flour, oat flour is lower in carbs and higher in protein and fibre. Oats contain the type of fibre called beta-glucan which can help to naturally lower cholesterol. The original recipe by Livia's Kitchen used oat milk which will give this recipe an extra beta-glucan boost. I used LIddells lactose free skim milk instead since I didn't have any oat milk, and thanks to the banana, my modified recipe has a similar amount of fibre. 

This is such a great recipe for breakfast or a healthy snack and it's so easy to make as well. 




Blueberry Banana Porridge Slice
Ingredients (makes 12 slices)
  • 300 g oat flour 
  • 225 g blueberries (pureed) + 60 g whole 
  • 110 g (1 medium) banana
  • 225 ml skim milk 
  • 2.5 tbsp (55 g) honey 
  • 1/4 cup (~20g) shredded coconut 
Method
Preheat oven to 180C. 

Place the first 5 ingredients in a food processor and blend until well combined. Pour into a bowl and stir through the 60 g of blueberries then pour mixture into a lined brownie tin. Sprinkle shredded coconut onto the mixture. 

Bake for 15-18 min or until firm. Cool on a cooling rack and cut into slices. 


Using the FSANZ NIP Calculator, this is the nutrition information for this recipe. It's a pretty interesting tool to play around with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment